Sunday, November 28, 2010

Making Irish Cream

DSCN0055Two of my favorite adult treats are homemade Kahlua and cream and homemade Irish Cream.  This year I decided make gift baskets filled with coffees and treats that go well with coffee, including chocolate and Irish Cream, of course!

A friend shared this recipe that she found in a book called “Cheaper and Better.”  I agree, it is better than the brand name Irish Creams that you would spend a fortune on at the liquor store!  We have dairy intolerances in our family, so I also made dairy free substitutions so I will post the original recipe as well as my adaptations.

Irish Cream (original recipe)

2 eggs

2 c. sweetened condensed milk

1 tsp. chocolate syrup

1 tsp. instant coffee

2 c. vodka

2 c. heavy cream

Beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored.  Slowly add the rest of the ingredients one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Pour mixture into sterilized dark glass bottles (dark plastic will also work) and let it rest for one week before drinking.  It will keep 1 month in the pantry or 3 months in the fridge.

 

Irish Cream (dairy-free substitutions)

2 eggs

2 c. vanilla coconut milk creamer

1 tsp. chocolate syrup

1 tsp. instant coffee

2 c. vodka

2 c. plain coconut milk creamer

Follow instructions above using substitutions.  I also ran a bit short of vodka so I just substituted the extra with some vanilla Brandy I had brewing.

 

I made the dairy free version and it turned out soooo yummy and creamy…and STRONG…so don’t plan on driving after drinking this stuff!  Make sure to let it age for a week in a dark spot so that the alcohol can denature the egg proteins.  I also doubled the recipe so we’d have a little for us and plenty to share.  Delish!

2 comments:

  1. Looks Yummy! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful! What a great idea to use SO Delicious coconut milk creamer in the dairy-free recipe. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete